Managing an MH Crisis
The following should be available for management of an MH crisis and should be fetched or ordered immediately:
- Activated charcoal filters
- Dantrolene sodium
- Cooling devices
- Emergency drugs including sodium bicarbonate, 50% dextrose and insulin, calcium chloride, adrenaline, antiarrhythmic agents (amiodarone and beta-blockers).
- A defibrillator
- Equipment for arterial cannulation and central venous access
- Equipment for bladder catheterization and urine output monitoring
- Fresh frozen plasma, platelets and clotting factors should be ordered
- Back up stocks of dantrolene should be mobilised by communication with pharmacy.
- Preparations for the transfer of the patient to ICU or HDU should be initiated
After stabilisation of the patient it is vital that the data from the monitor are stored and downloaded so that a retrospective record of events can be made.